Old 17-07-2004, 04:02 AM
TQ

Default picking corn?

Corn does not lose it sugar as quickly as you imply. If it did, then
roadside farmer markets would never be able to sell their corn. Corn picked
in the cool of the morning will be just fine at dinner time.

Another tasty way to cook corn is to roast it over a charcoal fire. As the
leaves char, you strip them off until you get down to the last layer
surrounding the ear. It/s well worth the added effort.

--
TQ

"Ray" wrote in message
| Oh. yah... forgot to mention.
|
| Put the water on to boil before venturing into the corn patch. Don't
| pick the corn until the water is boiling. Then, pick it, shuck it, and
| pop it into the water as quickly as possible. Sweet corn rapidly loses
| its sugar after it is picked.
|
| I understand that one guy experimented with cooking the corn while it's
| still attached to the stalk. That's carrying it a bit far, but not by
| much.
|
| We haven't had room to plant corn in years. This year, we planted a
| bunch. I can hardly wait for the stuff to be ready. :-)
|

| Ray
|

| "Ray" wrote in message
| When in doubt, pick a little on the young side. If you happen to pick
| an ear that isn't quite ready, cook it anyhow. It'll taste just
| fine --
| maybe even better than a 'perfect' ear.
|

| Ray
|

| "TQ" wrote in message
| Splitting the end is NOT a good idea.
|
| Monitor the silk.
| The ear will be ripe 21 days after the silk appears.
| Ripeness is near when the silk begins to dry at the tips.
| At this point, grab the top of the ear with your hand (thumb
| pointing
| down
| toward the stalk). The top of the ear should feel full and blocky
| (not
| sharply tapered).
| Shuck the ear and look at the kernels. They should be just snug
| against
| each other. Too snug and bulging, and the ear is over-ripe. Wide
| gaps,
| it/s immature.
|
| If it looks good, pick more of the same. If it/s immature, give it
| couple
| days.
|
| After the silk appears; be sure to provide good irrigation if
| rainfall
| is
| lacking and monitor for ear worms to ensure nice, full ears.
|

| "Stephen Snow" wrote in message
| om...
| | i have some corn in my garden -- first time thing -- and wonder
| when
| | should pick the ears. when the tassels are white? when they are
| brown?
| | ??? help!
| |
| | thanks in advance for any assistance,