Old 17-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Warren

Default Grass problem: Dry patch

wrote:

The pool was above ground, not inground. However, It was sitting on a
1-2 ft deep bed of sand. I did not remove the sand, just brought more
good soil and rototilled it. I thought it was enough but it sure
wasn't because that is the only spot that is dry and dormant despite
watering. The problem area is about 600 sq. ft. The rest of my approx.
4000 sq. ft lawn is doing all right.

With the sand mixed in the soil, the drainage is much faster over this
patch than the rest of the yard.

I'm wondering if there is a way to amend the problem without having to
dig the area, remove the sandy soil and put good soil....

Removal might not work, either. The soil you replace it with would
probably still be different than the rest of the yard. Time, as in
multiple years, may take care of that. Or not.

Rather than removing, and then trucking it away, spreading it around the
whole yard may help create more similar conditions, but you'd have to
work hard to get an even distribution, and there still is going to be a
difference in that spot for a few years to come. Either way, adding
organic material over the whole yard each year will help speed the
number of years until you can't tell the difference.

You'd be a year ahead of the game if you had trucked away the sand last
year, but even if you had, you'd still notice a difference this year.
And we're probably talking a half a decade or more before other people
won't be able to see the difference in the peak of summer, and a decade
before you can't see the difference.

You sure you want that big of a lawn? Do you need a play area for
yourself or the kids? Will it be serving a function? If not, considering
the amount of time and work it'll take to get an even looking lawn, this
might be a good time to consider some island beds. 4000 sq. ft. would
make one great garden with islands, and paths, and water features, and
other little surprises.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Get Black and Decker Landscaping Tools He
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blac...ker/index.html