Old 17-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Kay Lancaster

Default Crabgrass is evil

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:41:46 -0400, AJ M. wrote:
thanks for your insight. I guess the key to my whole problem is that I need
to put preventer down earlier. I can't really tell, but it doesn't look
like many other people in my development have as much crabgrass as I do.
This really irks me So this year, when the crabgrass dries out and dies,
I will rake it up, and overseed, and next year, I will put preventer down in
March, Lawn Builder with weed control in April, and then overseed again, I

Forget the crabgrass preventer. Overseed in the fall, fertilize next year,
lime if needed, and mow correctly (no more than 1/3 of the blade length
at any mowing, cut high). Absolutely no scalping the lawn.

Crabgrass is an opportunist of open ground. Get your lawn growing well
so there's no bare soil, and it won't germinate.