Old 17-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Dwayne

Default General advice for ripening tomatoes

Have you experiences blossem end rot before? I did and was told to add
calcium to prevent that, but that it has to be done during the fall
preceeding the growing season you want affected if you use the pelletized
calcium. The powdered form of calcium could be added as you do your spring
plowing, but it is more expensive as I recall.

TQ said that the blossem end rot is caused by uneven watering. That could
very well be true also, but I suspect it could be either of the problems.
Have you had a soil test conducted on your dirt? Might be a way to
determine which way you need to go.

I had blossem end rot on my tomatoes and on my watermelons. I applied the
pelletized calcium that year for the following season. I still had some the
following year, but not as bad. I assumed that I had not put down enough
calcium, and we moved before needing to do any further correcting.

Let us know what you find out.

Dwayne

"Ben" wrote in message news:bYyJc.33734$od7.11803@pd7tw3no...
My healthy tomato plants (determinate Roma and indeterminate cherry) have
set lots of fruit, and some of it looks just about ready to ripen. I've

fed
a couple of times with balanced fertilizer (most recently three weeks

ago),
and the soil is good and composty. Is there anything special to do at this
point with pruning, with the soil, with watering...? Should I add calcium

pre-empt blossom end rot? Any suggestions! I'm in Victoria, BC.

Thanks.

Ben