Old 18-07-2004, 06:02 AM
nswong

Default Use Weeds Killer to Keep Weeds Out of My Flower Garden?

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
news
Okay, but I'm not saying the starch in flour isn't different from

the
cellulose in newspaper. I'm saying newspaper and sawdust probably

have
similar nitrogen leaching effects due to the cellulose content. Do

the
same experiment with sawdust and compare to the flour. Even if you

shred
the newspaper or stick it in a blender, I think you will find them

both
more similar to each other than to the flour.

Okay. g

Also, discounting the presence of legumes, your plants are
not going to have a nitrogen generating source below the soil.

There is bacterial that exist in soil freely that can use carbon as
energy to fix N without work with legume, and release the N to plant
available form when they die and decay. :-)

If I were in your situation, I would probably do the same + the

living
mulch or cover crop you mentioned earlier. The only difference is I

may
worry about weeds resprouting from roots, so I may dig them out

instead
of cutting them if it is not too time consuming. Maybe also some
research into plants that are alleopathic to the weeds.

Yes, it's not cost effective to remove the weeds root.

BTW: I do enjoy to read your posting, but it become a stress for me to
reply you. I read quite fast, it take not more than 10 minute to read
your post. But I write slow, it take nearly 2 hours to reply you. I
hope next time we talk again it will be some simpler one. :-)

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m