Old 18-07-2004, 01:02 PM
V_coerulea

Default Let's Start a Good Idea, Tips Thread.

A number of years ago I started making my own rhizome clips for plastic
pots since the regular ones don't work too well on plastic. Grab a piece of
wire with pliers so the wire is in the jaws from the side. Wrap the wire 2-3
time around the pliers jaws in a 1/2 to 3/4 in circle. Keep the circles
close. After the last wrap, pull the rest of the wire to a right angle to
the loops and clip off about 4" long. The loops fit down over the edge of
the pot snuggly, no matter what size pot and the 4" protrusion can be shaped
to curve down over the rhizome or press across the top of it.
If I had any sense, I would have marketed these somehow. I have seen these
recently in some catalog somewhere, I really can't remember where (Charlie's
maybe?). Once you learn how to make them, they're quick & simple and
extremely effective. So when you run out, just sit down and make a few from
a roll of galvanized.
A take off on this is to make the 4" tail as long as you like and keep it in
the same plane as the loops. Fasten the loops down over the edge of the pot
and your wire sticks straight up to tie any plant parts to. You can branch
out and get a little fancier making "cup-holders" for 4" pots with a loop
upward for hanging.
Gary

"wendy7" wrote in message
For example, when I am potting, I use an old lazy susan.
I put it in a wide flat bowl which catches any spillage & is clean
enough to use.

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply