Old 18-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Steve

Default Papavar giganteum

Katra wrote:
But you did not try to "milk" the pods did you? ;-)

No, I didn't. I suppose I should have cut one or two just enough to
see if the sap really would come out.
I did harvest some of the seeds. For those who don't know, the seeds
used in baking (for poppy seed rolls etc.) are seeds from the opium
poppy. You can buy those in the store near the spices usually. I
don't know if they have been heated to kill them or not.
That jogs my memory... That article that I said I read many years
ago... I remember it was written by a woman who grew up in Europe
(Germany?) and she told how she and her sister would go out an play
in the poppy fields. Their mother would warn them not to eat too
many poppy seeds. They liked those seeds though and would pour out
the seeds from several pods and eat them. She said they would then
go home and sleep the rest of the afternoon.

Steve