Old 18-07-2004, 08:03 PM

Default easiest/least invasive way to repair leak

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote in message . ..
Yes, I agree with Pat, turn the waterfall off and see how much water is
lost in the holding area.

How many gallons is the holding area? It is common for a pond to lose 1/4
to 1/2 inch/day, add some water sucking plants, a splashy waterfall, wind
and it could be more. One of those YMMV type of things. ~ jan

On 11 Jul 2004 15:07:12 GMT, (O3raledale) wrote:

had a pondless waterfall installed last fall. I love it, except that

it does have a leak and I suspect a large one. Loose several inches of
water a day and will empty out completely in course of about a week.

It has been my experience that leaks (or water loss) are usually the result of
excess waterfall splashing outside the contained area, overflow from the liners
edges and/or capillary action or seapage at liner overlap joints. I'd check
those areas again before replacing the liner itself. I hope this helps. Good
luck.
-Pat Rolland

Thanks Jan and Pat,

Hummm, this is interesting. I had convinced myself that it was a
leak, and it would be great news if it were not. Let me explain the
"symptoms" and maybe you can tell be if this is normal or not. And
thanks again for the help.

1.) I have turned off the pump and it looses about 2 inches a day (in
the pond area, not the falls.
2.) Rate of water loose (with pump running) is about 2-3 inches a day
and fairly consistant independent of heat, sun, cloudy day etc. The
contractor did/would not give me the specs of the system and have no
clue as to water capacity.
3.) Have inspected in detail around surface liner and falls for
leaks--and have rebanked any areas that were too low and/or would
encourage overflow
4.) Careful not to overfill (to prevent overflow).
5.) Consistantly check for moist soil around perimeter-- all is
dry--which is why I think it is in bottom.
6.) Don't laugh but I even squirted milk around water edge to follow
flow (it worked and found several low area where water was crossing
liner)

Anymore dectective work I can do to isolate if leak or convection?
Thanks so much--Phyllis