Old 18-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Bill R

Default Hollyhocks from Root

Jenny wrote:
Another question from a neophyte perennial gardener.

I planted five hollyhock roots early this spring when I knew nothing about
perennials. They are in a spot that is almost full sun, but the soil they
are in is much sandier than the rest of the garden. I think some builder's
sand was dumped in that area for drainage. We didn't improve the soil at the
time we planted them, mostly out of stupidity. They have come up as little
bushes of leaves, not more than a foot high. There is no sign of any flower
spikes.

I've never grown these before so I don't know if their small size and lack
of spikes is a sign that the soil was too poor to support them or because
they aren't supposed to flower this year.

Do I leave them there for next year? Dig them up, improve the soil, and
replace them with some decent ones from the local nursery?

They're sitting in one of the few sunny spots in my garden so I don't want
to waste it!

Jenny,

Hollyhocks sometimes don't bloom until their second season.
Yours may still bloom this season but if they don't just
leave them where they are and they will bloom next year.
Hollyhocks don't require much care. Just feed them every
couple of weeks as you do with your other plants.

I have grown Hollyhocks for about 20 years and in the last
few I have switched to the double (Chatter's double)
Hollyhocks. I have picture of them on my web site,
http://members.iglou.com/brosen/page7.htm and
http://members.iglou.com/brosen/page8.htm They they are just
as easy to grow (from seed) as the single Hollyhocks. I
usually start the seeds in the early fall. That way they
get a good start and usually bloom by July.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden flowers visit