Old 18-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Would this work for orchids?

The Doormouse wrote:

"RPM1" wrote:

http://www.planthealthcare.com/catal...errasorb3.html

It seems like a great idea for keeping the roots moist, but what about air?

No reason you couldn't put some in a tray, add water, and blow air over
it. I don't know exactly why that would be more efficient than just
blowing air over a tray of plain water, though.

The Doormouse

I've tried this stuff in potting mix before. It is ok, I guess, but get
the biggest 'grain size' you can. It didn't kill my plants. Why?
Because I am a terrible waterer, and I never water often enough. I
suspect any 'normal' person who uses one of these water retaining gels
is asking for trouble. I wouldn't use it now, since I use largely
coconut husk as my media base - that holds a heck of a lot of water
already. Looks pretty darn goofy, like a herd of transparent slugs are
swimming in your pot.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )