Old 19-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Somebuddy Else

Default suitable plants for memorial

"Tom" wrote in message
om...
Hello all. One of my cats died recently and I want to plant some
ideal plants over his grave. The problem is the spot receives

little
light. I want this spot to be full of colour and smell, with the
possibility of attracting interesting insects such as butterflies.

live in Ontario so I am also looking for ideal perennial plants

which
will survive the cold winters.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Tom this is what my son and I did in similar situation. Last May, we
had to bury a very dear old kitty who was here when we moved in 10
years ago. My son and I interred him in a 3-4 ft deep hole located in
the inside-corner of the sidewalk and driveway out in front of the
house. This location only gets late afternoon direct sun and the rest
of the day it only receives tree filtered sunlight. So we selected
and planted a Hydrangea (v.Nikko Blue) above him (thought about
pussywillows); which is doing great. We left enough room between the
shrub and the pavement that we put in some catnip, mums and astilbe.
To this makeshift memorial garden, we also relocated some "Moonbeam"
Coreopsis and daffodils from another flowerbed that needed thinning.
This was divided and planted on both sides of the walk. We could
always add some more catnip or a small variety of Hosta. Looks
pretty good so we will see how this grows.
Fran