Old 19-07-2004, 05:15 PM
Allyb

Default Kelvin question

Thanks so much, that's exactly the info I needed!!

Greg G. wrote in message
Allyb said:

I'm only able to get 4100 or 4200 kelvin t8 bulbs locally. I know this
isn't optimal, byt how much will it affect my planted tank? Is it really
worth it to shell out for the aquarium bulbs? -Allison-

You can get Sylvania or Phillips T-8/850 bulbs at almost ALL
commercial light distributors for about $3.75 each.
T8/750 bulbs are available, and are slightly cheaper, but have a more
limited spectrum. These are both 5000k tri-phosphor bulbs.

Avoid the T8/950 bulbs, however. they have an increased CRI, but are
PAR limited.

I don't know what part of the country you are in, so check in the
Yellow Pages.

OTOH, the T8/741 bulbs will work, but are a little shy in the blue
spectrum. I've used them, but wasn't really happy. Colors look
yellow and washed out, and the plants seem to grow better under the
T8/850 bulbs. You could try mixing the T8/741 bulbs with T8/765 6500k
daylight bulbs for a better spectrum. Most home centers carry the
daylight bulbs.

Look here for some dated, but useful, information.

http://www.aquabotanic.com/lightcompare.htm

Greg G.