Old 19-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Vox Humana

Default suitable plants for memorial

"Tom" wrote in message
om...
Hello all. One of my cats died recently and I want to plant some
ideal plants over his grave. The problem is the spot receives little
light. I want this spot to be full of colour and smell, with the
possibility of attracting interesting insects such as butterflies. I
live in Ontario so I am also looking for ideal perennial plants which
will survive the cold winters.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Honestly, I can't see either a hydrangea or a peony blooming well in a an
area the "receives little light." I can think of no perennial that will
give you an extend show of colorful flowers and fragrance in the shade. I
would suggest that you consider a fragrant hosta like Honeybells. It will
do well in low light, blooms, and is fragrant. The flower color is white
and it attracts bees, but not butterflies. Bloom duration is about two to
three weeks. There are many handsome, large hostas that don't have
fragrance. I would suggest Krossa Regal if you are looking for a larger
plant. It has a nice vase-like shape, is a fast grower, has an interesting
texture and color, and sends up flower scapes that can get 5 to 6 feet tall.
The flowers are pale lavender. I have one that is about 7 years old and is
over six feet across and about 3 feet high.

Hosta Honeybells: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/3185/
Hosta Krossa Regal: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/3199/index.html