Old 19-07-2004, 06:10 PM
k conover

Default filter cleaning

Just wondering if there was a general rule of thumb for how often to clean
out the pond filter. I've got a very simple pump immersed in a box that
has a bio filter (net bag filled with things that look like dish scrubbies
and plastic hair curlers in it), topped by a square 1" thick spongy pad that
sits inside the lid. I inherited this pond, which is why I don't know what
I've really got. I've been cleaning it when my water spitter starts to
get clogged and doesn't shoot up as high, but that's not very often. I
know you don't want to kill the "good" microbes, so how often is good?
Thanks,
Kirsten
(And to reiterate my other post--do I need to fertilize my water lilies to
get flowers?)