Old 19-07-2004, 11:03 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Corn tassels being eaten?!

My staggered planting s of corn threw out tassels a few days ago and
the tassels are being eaten down to a strand. All the hanging pods are
missing. I did spot black bees harvesting pollen--they look just like
bumble bees but definitely smaller than the ones we normally find
burrowing holes under the porch. I think I caught one pulling the
hanging pods right off the tassel and flying away--or maybe it fell to
the ground.

Is this something that afflicts corn? I assume with the tassels being
eaten by bees or some other bug my cobs are not going to get well
pollenated. The rest of the plants looks healthy. It seems to be
happening to every plant in the patch.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://members.aol.com/DigitalVinyl66/Garden2004.html