Old 19-07-2004, 11:10 PM
Peter

Default Merit Insecticide Question

Fasinating. How does it prevent the new grubs from feeding? Why is it
prohibited to reapply Merit twice in one year? What is the harm in it?

Thanks

Peter

Merit has a very long residual. It hangs around for about 3 months. This

is
why they don't permit a second application in a season here. You may as

well
just double the application rate initially 'cause the first application is
still there.

Merit works to prevent the new, young grubs from feeding. They ingest it

in
very small quantities and then can't feed again which causes them to

starve
to death. I have found it to be virtually 100% effective even when the
application is not perfect. Unfortunately the adult grubs are just too big
and strong to be effected. Fortunately they will pupate into June Bugs and
fly off and bother someone else in the next spring, or following one.

Merit
should eliminate your grub problem, but you have to be patient.

You are right when you say now is the right time to apply it.

Peter H

"Peter" wrote in message
Thanks Peter -

But why won't it do anything for existing grubs? I read that it kills
grubs. Also, the new infestation is under way, the beetle population

peaked
last week and the eggs shouls start hatching grubs any day now. What I
understand, now is the best time to apply Merit.

I also understand Merit is not harmful to people and pets, so
overapplication doesn't have any *real* adverse effects.

Thanks

Peter

"Peter H" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...

"Steveo" wrote in message
No, it won't hurt anything but your wallet.

"Peter" wrote:
Thanks for you reply Steveo.

Will it hurt my lawn to reapply? I *really* need to wack the

grubs
bad.
They got me the last two years before I realized what was going

on.
want the mothers dead.

Peter

"
Peter wrote:
I spread a 14 pound bag of Bayer Merit granulated on my yard

last
night, and watered the lawn afterward with between 0.25 and

0.5
inches of water to wash it in. I'm attempting to kill

Japanese
beetle
grubs -
have had a bad problem for the last tow years. I applied the

Merit
at
heavier rate than recommended. The recommended rate is 2.8
lbs/1000,
used 3.8 lbs/1000. My soil is clay and perculates a little

slow.

Tonight we had a heavy thunderstorm and heavy rain. We got

about
1
inch of rain in about 15 minutes.

My question is; did all of my Merit wash away? Should I

reapply?

Thanks

Peter

It doesn't matter. The grubs have become Japanese beetles and

are
flying around now. Reapply before July 4 next year.

Heh, what do you think those beetles are doing when they're not
feeding?... That's right, laying eggs for the next generation.

The Merit will protect Peter's lawn from grub damage this fall
and consequently next spring too.

I really doubt it has washed away, Peter. It clings to organic
material real well.

Here in Ontario you are not permitted to reapply. Merit has a very

long
residual... and you have already admitted to applying above the

recommended
application rate. You should leave it alone.

Keep in mind that the application will not do anything about the

existing
grubs in your lawn. Merit will only prevent a new infestation. I have
applied it many times and have seen it watered in, not watered in and
drenched. It has still been effective in preventing a new infestation

every
time.

Peter H