Thread: Plant Growth
View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Old 20-07-2004, 01:07 AM
Craig Brye

Default Plant Growth

I just set-up my 75 gal. tank for plants. I have fluorite substrate, 3+watts/gallon, and the temperature is a constant 74-75 degrees. I have pressurized CO2 (KH 3, pH around 6.6-6.7).

The question I have is on plant growth. The other planted tanks I've had seemed to really take off from the get go. Growth in this tank seems to be really slow. This is only the sixth day with the plants in the tank, so I wanted everyone's suggestions on whether or not something might be wrong (or is it to early to worry). The plants arrived in sort of rough shape, and I'm wondering if they are just taking more time to adapt.

I'm using Chuck's method of "new tank set-up". I have a lot of plants, including numerous swords, green tiger lotus, and of course bunched plants (water sprite, cabomba, L. aquitica, L. Sessiflora, different varieties of Hygro, etc.). All of the plants are surviving, but only the swords seem to be growing at a rate I would expect. I used substrate fertilizer to begin with, but no water fertilizers per Chuck's plan.

I plan on using PMDD, as I'm accustomed to this method. I have, however, always had a rough time in the first two months of keeping plants in other tanks due to algae. This is why I'm trying Chuck's method.

Anyone else have experience with this plan? I imagine things will start to take off, but I wanted anyone else's insight. I'm not used to seeing growth this slow.

Thank you,

--
Craig Brye
University of Phoenix Online