Old 20-07-2004, 01:11 AM
Cammie

Default CO2 plant system

"Ann Viverette" wrote...
first, the bubbles do tend to
stick until a bacterial film develops, it will get better in a day or two.
Second, if you don't see bubbles in a few hours, either the water was too
hot, or, more likely, you need to give the cap an extra 1/4 turn after you
think it is tight. Third, you can make the mix yourself with 1/4 teaspoon
regular yeast (be sure good dates and keep closed in the refrigerator

after
opening) plus 1 teaspoon baking soda. Should last 3 weeks, refill before

the
bubbles stop completely, if you only see two bubbles on the ladder it is
time to refill. Fourth, put the ladder on the side of the tank so you

hardly
notice it, press it on good so not fish sneak behind, level by pressing
against a corner. Do trim the line as short as is reasonable, it helps

flow
rate by reducing line losses.

LOL, you just about read my mind. I was hoping to find someone that used
this. My first attempt I had no bubbles, I then undid the hose and blew
threw it in case there was water, then I decided to tighten the canister
tighter than I had originally. I am at the 24 hour mark and I have about
5-6 bubbles, should I have more at this point?

I'm just happy to see some. Will the entire unit fill with bubbles. I'm
still not understanding how this thing works or what to fully expect, the
directions are just that. It would be nice if they had diagrams to show
what it should look like fully operational. Should the entire unit fill up
with bubbles and be replaced constently with new bubbles?

I have this in only a 10 gallon tank with about 5 plants, one fancy
goldfish, a pleco, small albino catfish, and a couple cherry barbs. Plants
aren't doing great, and it has black beard (hair algae) growing in tufts so
someone suggested CO2 may help get rid of this.

I appreciate your other suggestions and will use them.