Old 20-07-2004, 02:02 AM
TQ

Default Corn tassels being eaten?!

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
news | My staggered planting s of corn threw out tassels a few days ago and
| the tassels are being eaten down to a strand. All the hanging pods are
| missing. I did spot black bees harvesting pollen--they look just like
| bumble bees but definitely smaller than the ones we normally find
| burrowing holes under the porch. I think I caught one pulling the
| hanging pods right off the tassel and flying away--or maybe it fell to
| the ground.
|
| Is this something that afflicts corn? I assume with the tassels being
| eaten by bees or some other bug my cobs are not going to get well
| pollenated. The rest of the plants looks healthy. It seems to be
| happening to every plant in the patch.

Japanese beetles may be the culprit. In any event, I would spray the silk
with Sevin or dust with Rotenone. Without the silk, you won/t get any corn.
--
TQ

"I don't remember the al-Qaida cells as being something that we were told we
needed to do something about."
National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice 4/8/2004