Old 20-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Gene Schurg

Default Let's Start a Good Idea, Tips Thread.

I don't reuse media for plant other than the one that was planted in it
originally. Sometimes the aliflor can be easily picked out of the mix if
the cocohusk has all fallen apart and most of it disolved in water and
washed through the hole in the bottom of the pot.

I don't find any value in using it for other orchids since it's broken down
and will just mean I'll have to repot again in a few months.

I do reuse media for topping off other house plants and hanging baskets in
the yard. I like to use old orchid mix this way so that the dirt doesn't
splash out when the rain hits the dirt or I squirt them with the hose.
Also, this gives the houseplants and hanging baskets a finished look that
you don't get with plain ole dirt.

Good growing,
Gene

"Orchidguy" wrote in message
om...
I havent give this a try yet , but a friend mentioned to me about saving

old
cattleya potting media , re-sterilizing it and using in paph mix...Hmmmm ,
perhaps , but I'm not so sure, and if you guys have any thoughts on this?
as it sounds frugal to me maybe I'll give it a shot , and boil up some
bark...hehehehe
Bright days & good growing
Todd
"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
nk.net...
You know what else works for removing roots? A plastic plant tag,
preferably a fairly rigid one.

Diana

"wendy7" wrote in message
Good one Elinor, I may even have a palette knife in my box of oil

painting
goodies. It would
probably be easier to buy one than find mine as it has been packed

away
in
the attic for a score!
Wondering if the palette would work on clay pots?
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

ARIET B wrote:
There have been SO many good ideas here! But I hope you ALL have
used this one.
Go to the art store, and buy a palette knife. It is just a little
thing with a VERY flexible blade.
When you repot- first soak your plant in a pan/bucket(whatever is
appropriate for your plant) of water for a couple hours. I have
found that "overnight" is not too much, but it IS a bit scary. Then
when ready to dump the plant out- use the palette knife to gently
remove the roots from the pot. Works like magic- you can just

slide
the thing under to "stuck-on" roots, and they come right off.
No home should be without one.
When you tire of your orchids, you can slop artist's paints-
acrylic/oil onto a palette, and then apply it to the canvas, just
like Van Gogh.
Elinor