Old 20-07-2004, 06:09 AM
Chookie

Default How are the vegies, everyone?

In article ,
len gardener wrote:

mostly only grow the brassicas for winter as we live in rural and
water is sort of restricted all,the time unless it falls from the
heavens. someone in another forum mentioned that the sydney area was
booked for good rain this weekend and beyond, but when i checked the
sattelite & isobar pages on the bom site it looked a bit doubtful so
showers it turned out to be still that is better than what se/qld is
getting zilch.

We got a little bit, but not really enough. All the subsoil has dried out so
there isn't anything for the plants to grow on.

had some real big frosts this year and a cold front moved in one night
so all spuds and tomatoes etc.,. burnt to death. i get up early to
hose the frosts off but stop short at getting up in the middle of the
night for a cold front.

Winter arrived on Friday -- we also had a frost, and since then we've had
gale-force winds and the odd shower. Fine again today though. Migth nick out
to prune the roses next.

just yesterday i picked our best caullie to date

Looks fantastic -- we'll see if any of mine grow (all my autumn plantings were
cooked in the sun/wind or eaten by snails -- have yet to convince DH that we
need a few chooks).

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet