Old 20-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Lady Blacksword

Default Let's Start a Good Idea, Tips Thread.

All kinds of reused potting soil, Orchid media, ect, are great, in my
experience for filling in the very bottom of huge planters, which take a lot
of soil. Especially if the plants you're planting in it won't get huge
amounts of roots, like annuals.
Murri

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 02:38:10 GMT, "Gene Schurg"
wrote:

I do reuse media for topping off other house plants and hanging baskets

in
the yard. I like to use old orchid mix this way so that the dirt doesn't
splash out when the rain hits the dirt or I squirt them with the hose.
Also, this gives the houseplants and hanging baskets a finished look that
you don't get with plain ole dirt.

Good growing,
Gene

A friend with a good sized collection in Chicago used to dump it
for mulch under the summer plant area. Turned out to be several
inches deep after a couple of years. Best all weather walk
because it was "mulch" and because it was partially broken down
it packed in well.
SuE