Old 20-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Default Pickeral Rush

Joe,

Jim has an Oscar in his office aquarium (70 gal). It lives in a steady
74-78 degree temp. It eats extra mosquito fish that he traps from the
pond...keeping the gambusia population down by having the Oscar eat
them...with an intermediate step. The office Oscar also loves catfish food.
When it was young, it would lie on its side when we approached the tank,
sending the message that it was a dead fish or perhaps a leaf and therefore
not worth eating. We cold run it in the pond, but don't think we could get
it out in the fall. How did you trap yours to bring it in in the fall?

Phyllis

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message
"Crashj" wrote:

San Diego Joe wrote in message

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo
and an Oscar.

^^^^^^
waitaminute, you mean an Oscar like an aquarium dwelling South
American Ciclid Oscar? Just how warm is your water??

Yup, that kind of Oscar. We bought him last summer to try to keep down the
mosquito fish population. We brought him in to an aquarium for the winter.
Our water is in the high 70's. He doesn't seem to catch too many mosquito
fish, but does seem to have developed a liking for goldfish pellets.

Sigh...