Old 20-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Michelle

Default Food for bees

I have a large perinial garden full of nothing but wild flower seed
just packets of various seeds all mixed wild flowers asters daisies
black eyed susans and bunches of others I love to watch butterflies
and this was my purpose in planting a sort of whild lookign bed with
wild flowers I live half a mile from a farm which keeps honey beeds
for education and for honey they mark their bees from each hive to
track their movement and to keep a little record of the bees I offten
see bunches of the little guys on my wild flowers and I sit with my
daughter and watch bugs for hours their because she loves them so may
be just a mix of wild flowers indiginous to your area wil work and
just be sort of pretty and varied and attrack other insects like
butterflies I get cabbage butterflies eastren monarchs eastren black
swallow tails and painted ladies in zone six and bunches of honey
bees so hope that helps
good luck I like bees they are a wonder
michelle
On 19 Jul 2004 17:31:53 -0700, (Pen) wrote:

Look at these sites for info:
http://www.wildflowerfarm.com/
http://www.prairiehabitats.com/

These will tolerate poor-ish dry soils. Here's a list for sunny areas:

Lavender Hyssop - Agastache foeniculum
Red Milkweed - Asclepias incarnata
Butterflyweed - Asclepias tuberosa
All Gaillardia - Gaillardia sp.
Sneezeweed - Helenium autumnale
All sunflowers - Helianthus sp.
All lupines - Lupinus sp.
All blazing star - Liatris sp.
Beebalm - Monarda sp.
Purple Prairie Clover - Petalostemum purpureum
Mountain Mint - Pycnanthemum virginianum
All coneflowers - Ratibida sp. & Rudbeckia sp. & Echinacea sp.
All goldenrod - Solidago sp.
New York Ironweed - Vernonia noveboracensis

Here's a list for shady areas:

Foam Flower - Tiarella cordifolia
Columbine - Aquilegia canadensis
Nodding Wild Onion - Allium cernuum