Old 21-07-2004, 02:02 AM
escapee

Default Deadheading Zinnias?????

On 20 Jul 2004 21:20:04 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) opined:

Do Zinnias need to be deadheaded, and if so, how far back do you cut off the
stem that the bloom was on?

Hi stranger. Zinnias love being deadheaded. If you look at the nodes you may
see where a new bud is developing. If you don't see one, I normally cut back
about three sets of leaves. I have also cut lower than that to restore zinnias
which got leggy and out of control. This can bring the plant down to where the
powdery mildew is, so I now try not to cut them back that far. I've never had
zinnias, other than the dwarf varieties, which didn't get powdery mildew. You?