Old 21-07-2004, 04:03 AM
Susan Erickson

Default potting media

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:05:23 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

Basically, the scheme behind polystyrene "peanuts" is:

white = virgin polystyrene and OK
green = recycled and OK
pink = coated for antistatic purposes, avoid like the plague
light blue = coated to make the antistatic for handling only, apparently OK

Avoid the figure-8's, avoid those that look like white/beige small dog turds.

Thanks for the translation. But I beg to differ - The green are
NOT OK. They killed the roots on the Ascda. It was green I was
using. G Natural looking and all that. So my rule is ANY
color avoid.

I wonder if someone had hand sprayed the ones I got. They were
recycled (how many times?) so I don't know where they came from
or what treatment(s) they may have received.
SuE