Old 21-07-2004, 04:05 AM
Ka30P

Default new plants, what to do with them?

Pam wrote sort of offended by that question they were, made me feel plumb
ungrateful

lol! ;-)
Maybe they thought you were a state inspector in disguise.

How about azolla. It starts out green and then turns red.
Pictures are here --
http://images.google.com/images?q=az...=Google+Search

I'd use the modified BV method of planting. Wait until dinner is simmering on
the stove, pour a glass of cold white wine and release plants.

Maybe your almost floating heart might be frogbit.
Pictures
http://images.google.com/images?q=fr...n&btnG=Google+

Some of my frog bog plants (planted in the pond) are on my state thug list and
I can't get rid of them for love or money - tenacious things - I've got
parrot's feather in its third summer in the compost pile. But if you don't live
on a flood plain and you're not going to go dumping them in natural waterways
you should be okay and not become public enemy number one.

Worst offender (and not sure of its criminal status) this year is pennywort. It
just took off after I ripped up the parrot's feather a couple of years ago.
Prize for slowest spreader is miniature horsetail rush. Mini cattails, also
slower than slender cattails and the big boy cattails are fastest which makes
me want to track down a botanist and ask them if by miniaturizing the plant did
they take some of the vigor out of it. (Seems to work the opposite with dogs
though....)

If you've got parrot's feather growing across the top of the water you'll be
fine. It is where the plant can get its roots ahold of something because when
you pull it you leave bits behind. But I've pulled pounds of parrot's feather,
pennywort and watercress out of my deep pond, no problem. The shallower planted
frog bog is another story.

kathy :-)
algae primer