Old 21-07-2004, 05:03 AM
Sue Walsh

Default "attaching" plants to side of pond

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote in message ...
Hi Jan,

I have bought black, plastic, milk crates to put some plants in our pond

where
there is no shelves.

The milk crates are great because the fish can swim
in and out of the holes. Take a look at our pond page, the 2 plants in

the
very front are on milk crates.

We also use milk crates. The goldfish move through them. The koi are too
big...as the one found out who got stuck and lost a 2" band of scales where
it rubbed.

Phyllis

Phyllis & Jan,
I too have used black milk crates. I have cut some larger holes in
them to allow the larger fish to enter and leave again. This is easy
to do by just cutting a few of the dividers out to enlarge a hole.
Also I put uplanted bunches of Anacharis under the milk crate which
keeps them from floating up and they tend to root in dirt on the
botttom. The females like this area for laying there eggs and it does
give the baby fish a nice hiding place. So these milk crates serve
dual purposes in our pond. Sometimes we put a patio block or two on
top before we put the plant on it, in case it is too deep for that
particular type of plant.

See my pond at...

http://community.webshots.com/user/aspenjd

Sue W