Old 21-07-2004, 06:02 AM
The Watcher

Default Bush intel?

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:33:26 -0700, (paghat)
wrote:

(snip)
Oh? How many Welcome Home parades were there for the veterans when they came
home from Vietnam?

Well, I participated in quite a long parade of cars with their lights on
as we took my childhood neighbor & first sweet crush Jimmy Shrieves to the
cemetery, the first of several on our block to be brought home, in the
words of Country Joe, "in a box." Didn't live long enough to ever vote or
get LEGALLY drunk. And we honored him not only that day, but just about
every day since, because it isn't something that ever really heals.

So if such grief-stricken homecoming parades as that count, at the time
there seemed to be no end to them in poorer neighborhoods like mine. If
what you hoped for was jingoistic pride in a baseless & unjust war that
couldn't even be won, then hey, you're just gonna love the next GOP
convention.

I doubt it, since I'm not a member of either party. If you'll go back and read
my post again, you may notice that I didn't suggest a Great War Parade. I
suggested a Welcome Home Parade for the returning veterans.

How many memorials have been erected to the men who served in
Vietnam?

God I hope that was asked tongue in cheek.

Nope. Dead serious. I know about the ONE erected in Washington, DC to the men
who DIED in Vietnam. What about all the other men who survived Vietnam? They
sacrificed a bit, too. I'd think their sacrifice would be worth at least one
memorial or something from a "grateful" country. :/

I've seen the traveling Vietnam Wall.
(snip)