Old 21-07-2004, 06:03 AM
Ray

Default picking corn?

When in doubt, pick a little on the young side. If you happen to pick
an ear that isn't quite ready, cook it anyhow. It'll taste just fine --
maybe even better than a 'perfect' ear.

Ray

"TQ" wrote in message
Splitting the end is NOT a good idea.

Monitor the silk.
The ear will be ripe 21 days after the silk appears.
Ripeness is near when the silk begins to dry at the tips.
At this point, grab the top of the ear with your hand (thumb pointing

down
toward the stalk). The top of the ear should feel full and blocky

(not
sharply tapered).
Shuck the ear and look at the kernels. They should be just snug

against
each other. Too snug and bulging, and the ear is over-ripe. Wide

gaps,
it/s immature.

If it looks good, pick more of the same. If it/s immature, give it a

couple
days.

After the silk appears; be sure to provide good irrigation if rainfall

is
lacking and monitor for ear worms to ensure nice, full ears.

"Stephen Snow" wrote in message
om...
| i have some corn in my garden -- first time thing -- and wonder when

| should pick the ears. when the tassels are white? when they are

brown?