Old 21-07-2004, 07:03 AM
Katra

Default Papavar giganteum

In article ,
Steve wrote:

Katra wrote:

Question: Isn't it illegal to cultivate P. somniferum anywhere in the
United States? So why do they sell the seeds at the seed stores??

I've wondered that for years. I read an article in a garden magazine
that told about growing them. It said it was for people in Europe
because in the US they were not legal to grow. Right after that, I
saw them for sale in a Thompson & Morgan catalog.
I ordered some and grew them for about 2 years. I grew them in a
flower bed right near the street too. They were pretty. I got
compliments.

Steve

But you did not try to "milk" the pods did you? ;-)

I've thought about calling the local extension office and checking it
out. There seems to be a lot of controvery about growing them. I have
some seeds, but have never tried to plant them. I'd _love_ to grow them
just for the beauty and the seeds... These are a mixed color variety.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...