Old 21-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Wil

Default Ultra Modern Daylilies

"JMagerl" wrote in message
Not to change the topic, but could you explain why a tissue culture would
perform differently than a plant division? I though tissue cultures were

an
exact clone.

In some plants the tissue culture performs well. However it has been proven
by daylily growers that there is a percentage of so called clones, tissue
cultured plant, that have problems with the plant performance. I have
bought a cloned daylily from say, Wal Mart that did not even bloom. But
others have bought the same named variety from Wal Mart that is performing
well. Sometimes the depth of color saturation is not the same as the
original by plant division. Sometimes the flower form just is not as
perfect, ruffled, large bloom, good performance upon opening in the AM etc,
as the division plant. I suppose the cause has to do with the process.
Perhaps an imperfect process in the lab can mutate cloned piece. I don't
know if anyone has even said definitively what causes the problem. Daylily
growers only know it happens when the plant is grown. Also for the serious
daylily grower, [as opposed to a gardener that wants to enjoy a plant at a
reasonable price] some tissue cultured plants have been sold in the upper
markets as true divisions at the true division price. You can see how that
can cause a problem in the daylily market where prices are originally very
high.

Wil