Old 21-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Bob

Default Lawn Inversion

"Greg Miller" wrote in message
om...
Hello all,

I've got a lawn, about 50' x 70'. It's more than half weeds,

despite
several years of half-hearted spraying and picking. The grade

is
wrong; it slopes to the middle of the yard.

So basically I want to start anew. My intended course of action

is to
flip over the lawn (after the fall) by shovel to a depth of 8"

(so
that no weeds return). Then bring in topsoil and grade. Leave

over the
winter for further settling. In the spring, fix any holes

caused by
settling and then seed.

This is a major project, so I would really appreciate any

suggestions.

It might be a lot easier to remove the existing grass with a sod
cutter. This will remove the grass and any unsprouted weed seeds
on the surface, so you will end up with less weeds in the end.
Then prepare as you say, and plant in the fall so that the new
grass can build its roots over the winter.

Bob