Old 21-07-2004, 06:03 PM

Default squirrels in my tomatoes

wrote:

The squirrels in my yard have kept me from getting even ONE
lousy peach from my tree for 6 years now, but I've never seen
them eating a tomato, and I've brought in LOTS this summer.

I've seen shows where those squirels do all kinds of acrobatic
tricks to get at the seeds and food on the bird feeder but not at
tomatoes...or fruits yet although one did dugged up and half eaten
one of the taro root I planted.

Not sure how much is LOTs but i got about 15 or so far from
the 1 BetterBoy and 1 Park plant that I've got and that's good
enough for me. Anyhow, I did noticed that the first few tomatoes
was pretty big but the last few was in the smaller sizes - I thought
they ran out of fertilizer or the growth went to the plants or
something...*shrug* first time gardening for a cityboy.
http://display.homeunix.org/garden/tomatoes-july-b.jpg

My tomatos haven't been very big this year; something to do
with the (beastly) weather, I suppose. But the squirrels
leave them alone, and always have.

Ken Kuzenski AC4RD kuzen001 at acpub .duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see? www.duke.edu/~kuzen001