Old 21-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Sunflower

Default Lawn Inversion

"Greg Miller" wrote in message
om...
Hello all,

I've got a lawn, about 50' x 70'. It's more than half weeds, despite
several years of half-hearted spraying and picking. The grade is
wrong; it slopes to the middle of the yard.

So basically I want to start anew. My intended course of action is to
flip over the lawn (after the fall) by shovel to a depth of 8" (so
that no weeds return). Then bring in topsoil and grade. Leave over the
winter for further settling. In the spring, fix any holes caused by
settling and then seed.

This is a major project, so I would really appreciate any suggestions.

You may be surprised at the amount of soil you'll need, and the amount of
work this is. A contractor with a bobcat and a dumptruck can probably do
the job in a couple of days and do it right, whereas if you are not 100%
sure of how to accomplish what you want, you risk damage to your home and
lawsuits for damages from neighbors because of incorrectly channeled runoff.
And, unless you are very young and fit, hand shoveling several cubic yards
of soil is an injury waiting to happen. It would be best to get a contractor
to come in and do the grade work, leaving the seeding to you.