Old 21-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] black pines

In a message dated 7/21/2004 11:52:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Kitsune Miko writes:

In my 25 years of dong bonsai, I have seen almost as many methods for controling needle length on black pines. The current one we are using in California is to cut back all new growth during the month of July, leaving only 5 bunches of needles to bud in

to candles. I was wondering about the timing. I used to do this in mid to late August.

Others? Michael?

Kitsune Miko

Kitsune:

It is true: numerous and, at times, seemingly different methods of controlling needle growth can all leads to acceptable results. This fact is not unique to Japanese Black Pine.

Regardless, my preference is to adjust the flow of sap within Japanese Black Pines (one of several two-needle pines) by dividing growth into three levels, i.e., strong, medium, and weak. Based on the specific level of growth for a particular branch, eith
er 3-4 needle pairs (in strong areas), 7-8 needle pairs (in medium areas), or all needle pairs (in weak areas) will be allowed to remain. When the tree is not prone to weeping, I simply pull the needles.

Once the tree has achieved a balanced appearance or balanced sapflow, one can then proceed with a generalized approach to maintenance, such as that which you are currently using.

HOWEVER, I have not discussed candle pruning, and this is critical to achieving balance in Japanese Black pines. Essentially, half of each strong and medium strength candle is removed to transfer sap to the weaker areas in the tree. Rather than rambling
through it now, I will post the procedure later this evening or tomorrow. Timing is critical.

In summary, I differentiate between mature and immature designs and manipulate growth accordingly.

I hope that this helps.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++