Old 21-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Mike Lyle

Default spuds for next year

"Douglas" wrote in message ...
"Raymond RUSSELL" wrote in message
Hello all

I'm harvesting the first of our potatoes
(one plant at a time - to save going shopping).

This year we've had quite a few "volunteer" plants
springing up from odd bits left in the ground.
I can't remember what variety they are - but they taste lovely.

I want to save a few little ones to use as seed again next season.
What is the best way to store them between now and next year
- not to eat but for next year's crop ?

Best regards from Ray.

********
We used to put them in a flat wooden tray (not touching each other), [...]
Some people put newspaper sheet around them (leaving the top quite open for
light) to stop them touching each other. I don't, I use a bigger tray,
keeping them apart from each other.. but that is being a bit fussy.

[...]

Those bumpy mauvish papier-maché trays shops have fruit on are useful
for keeping things separate. I've used them for ripening tomatoes and
storing apples.

Mike.