Old 21-07-2004, 09:15 PM
annet planten

Default Parrots in the Gardens, again

"Philippe Gautier" schreef:

Not really what you are looking for, but maybe you would be interested
Belgium. I don't really have nice stories about them, though. Sorry.

Philippe

If those so-called parrots are the same flashing green parakeets (sp?)
that are spreading slowly but steadily over the Netherlands, my guess
is they originated from Amsterdam.

About tenty years ago, someone got rid of some 'halsbandparkieten',
ringnecks, by setting them loose in the Vondelpark, quite
central-Amsterdam. A women living around there started feeding them
on a daily base: lateron a group of people helped and took over that
task. The birds were flourishing, spreading slowly over the city,
coming back for food, but not to sleep: for that purpose they chose
some big trees some miles away. Quite a big population, ever growing.

Then there were reports that they spreaded southwards, obviously
finding enough food to live on, also in wintertime. By now, it's not
unusual to see them from Amsterdam to The Hague and onwards. To the
east is more rarely: my guess is they stick to cities, for food and
shelter, so hopping around is far more attractive in the crowded
west-region than in the meadowy, emptier north.

If they reached Antwerpen, made a daytrip to Zeebrugge and took a
ferry (ehm? why not?), London was at their feet ;-)

Dag, Annet