Old 21-07-2004, 09:44 PM
mike. buckley

Default Tomato side shoots

In message , RichardS
writes
"Pen Phill" wrote in message
Hi all
I usually pull or cut off the side shoots on my tomato plants until they

are
about 5 trusses high at which point I nip out the growing tops but in

some
varieties the ends of the trusses themselves start to shoot beyond the

fruit
forming further branches if left.. Should I cut these off as well?

Phil

Yes, I take them off.

Incidentally, when I nip out a side shoot thats grown to more than a couple
of inches then I stick it in a jar of water. Within a week or so it's grown
roots, so I pot them on and plant them out as soon as established.

I'm currently awaiting the results of this, but if it ends up with free tom
plants and hence toms for me, then I'm all for that...

I've just tried this after I've come back from a few days holiday and
found that a small side shoot I missed, is now a large side shoot I
can't fail to miss!

It got me thinking though. I've never grown Toms before, and it looks to
me like side shoots just keep on coming. In theory, what's to stop me
taking these shoots near the end of the season and growing them indoors?
Are varieties like Gardeners Delight happy indoors? I don't think I have
a very good spot for them inside (no conservatory yet) but they would be
in a warm spot with limited sun.

Ta

--
Mike Buckley