Old 21-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Alan Gould

Default Tomato side shoots

In article , Douglas
writes
Please do me a favour and jot down a stage-by-stage routine for the freezing
of tomatoes, either on the N.G. or E/mail.

Freezing tomatoes is actually easier to do than to describe.

The tomatoes should be fully, but not over-ripe. Select only sound
fruits for freezing, i.e they should not be not damaged, bruised or
diseased. Remove the stem and wipe each tomato clean with a damp cloth.
Pack flat into freezer bags. Suck or squeeze out surplus air from the
bags and twist tie seal the tops. Put them into the freezer. That's all
there is to it!

The tomatoes can be removed from the frozen bags all at once, or singly.
As soon as they come out, run each tomato under a tap for a few seconds
and the skins will fall off. Ex-freezer tomatoes are excellent for all
catering purposes, but their flesh will have lost its crisp texture
compared to fresh ones, so not suitable for e.g. fresh salads etc.

We froze our first surplus batch of 2004 tomatoes today. More soon.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.