Old 21-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Douglas

Default Allotment cash crop advice

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Rich" wrote in message
Hi, My allotment is probably twice or 3 time more that I need to feed my
family, or even just keep weed free.

Next year I was thinking of setting half to a very low maintainance cash
crop.....

Any ideas what this should be ?

Go to a couple of your local car boot sales and see the produce on sale
there. If you're lucky the vendors will tell you how it's going, and you
should get an idea of demand. Fruit may be a good idea, considering the
prices of punnets of soft fruit at supermarkets.

The previous occupant of my allotment was an old boy living on his own,

and
he used to grow far too much for himself, and used to take the excess down
to the pub in exchange for his beer. I never met him, but I hear he was
drunk most nights at this time of year.

Steve

*********
Which reminds me,,
When I was a youth we lived isolated "down the docks". Out the front of
our bungalow was a small square field with a broken stone road round it ,
and on the far corner some low buildings obscured the quarter mile road to
the some shops and the pub at the start of the Town proper.
My dad used get together a large bouquet of beautiful flowers from his
allotment and hide them in the henhouse at the back, also near the near the
bungalow . On a Saturday evenings he hid the bouquet in front of his body
and walked quickly to the far corner. , then proceeded the quarter mile to
the pub.
The first short stretch was in full view of the front door and when my
mother, a strict Union Methodist, first saw him cross the first field there
was hell to play when he came home. (BTW, I never ever, saw my Dad in a
"wits out" condition.).
She accused him of "playing around" and "having another woman", which he
denied and said he always sold the bouquet in the pub. A