Old 21-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Stan Goodman

Default Papavar giganteum

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:15:18 UTC, rebecca
opined:
On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 04:42:07 -0500, Katra
wrote:

In article ,
Steve wrote:

Katra wrote:

Question: Isn't it illegal to cultivate P. somniferum anywhere in the
United States? So why do they sell the seeds at the seed stores??

I've thought about calling the local extension office and checking it
out. There seems to be a lot of controvery about growing them. I have
some seeds, but have never tried to plant them. I'd _love_ to grow them
just for the beauty and the seeds... These are a mixed color variety.

I've read a few times that it's okay to grow them as long as you don't
do the slitting-the-pods thing to get opium. We have some that
volunteer every year in our vegetable garden. I've tried growing them
other places, and they never do as well.

I have never heard that either P. Somniferum or Giganteum is edible by
humans. Neither is usually regarded as a table vegetable, pot herb, or
flavoring agent. What, then, is the justification for discussing them in
rec.gardens.EDIBLE, seeing that there are other newsgroups in which they
would be actually on-topic?

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendam.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.