Old 21-07-2004, 11:26 PM
Roger Van Loon

Default Parrots in the Garden?

Ben wrote:

Hello all,

I am a Canadian journalist and am working on a story about the
expanding parakeet population in London.
My research tells me that the population is currently expanding at 30
per cent annually for at least the last 5 years and is continuing to
grow. A favorite food of the birds in the city - fruit, vegetables,
cereal grains etc.
My request is this: have any of you had your gardens pecked at by
parakeets?sightings of parakeets in your gardens or friends gardens?
Anybody in London or the suburbs who could help me and would be
willing to talk would be great. Thank you kindly.

Ben,
I suppose that you know they are not only around London? For many
years, there have been colonies of Ring-neck parakeets near Brussels -
and in Holland, too.
Interesting, yes, but also sad - they are pushing out other bird
species that also used to breed in hollow trees.
Roger.

There's more than money to be looked for in this short life of ours