Old 21-07-2004, 11:38 PM

Default Youngish Birch - growing tips dying?

Ian Cundell wrote in message ...
I have a Silver Birsh (Snow Queen) that is in in second summer p-lanted
out.

Last year it went mental and added something like 27ins to its stems.

This year it started well, added about 10ins - and then seems to have
stopped. Many stems have terminal leaves, rather than a growing tip, and
the few growing tips seem to have blackened. It looks a bit like frost
damage.

I am mindful of two things:

1. It has been very windy (I'm in Hertfordshire, btw).

2. Because of this I have been keeping it liberally watered, and did
inadvertently leave ther soaker on overnight - just before all the
storms turned up. There was a bit of waterlogging, but although the
ground is still a bit soft it certainly does not feel saturated.

I just noticed that a couple of stems have what look like male catkins
forming (the sticky out ones in clusters of three). This seems a bit
early to me. So I am wondering if a combination of wind and water has
fooled it into thinking it is later in the year than it really is - and
if I should do anything about it.

The soils is typical Herts clay with flints.

A nearby Betula Pendula - much bigger, but planted at the same time - is
going greeat guns.

Apart from the waterlogging and the location, this could have been
written by me as I have exactly the same problem.

I notice you didn't get an answer on this group. If you found at
anything from elsewhere I would be most appreciative if you could pass
on some info.

G.