Old 21-07-2004, 11:52 PM
Alan Gould

Default Raspberry riddle...

In article , Robert youcanteducatepork@sp
amex.com writes

No it's generally precise as far as summer raspberries are concerned. If you
cut the raspberries off some of those stems would have been new and if it
then sent up new ones they would bear fruit as it was an early trim. I'm
sticking to that lol!

Urg had a discussion about summer and autumn raspberries last year. I
recall suggesting that where the variety is unknown, newly grown canes
might be cut by about a third in order to back both possibilities.

I did that with ours and I am amazed at the success. We are just coming
to the last of a big crop from those shortened canes. At the same time
huge new canes have grown and are already budding up flower trusses for
autumn cropping. The summer crop have been good sized fruits and from
last year, the autumn ones will be huge berries. Later on we will cut
the new canes as before, they will also need some thinning out.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.