Old 21-07-2004, 11:54 PM
Mike Lyle

Default clover in lawn

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 19/7/04 9:37, in article
, "Howard Neil"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

On 18/7/04 8:44 pm, in article
, "Howard

Neil"
wrote:

BAC wrote:

[...about 'pesticide' etc...]

This is a question of usage. Everybody's right, but in different ways.

My own mind clearly distinguishes pests, diseases, and weeds; and I'm
generally very fussy about words. But it seems perfectly reasonable
for the controlling government department to select a term which shall
be deemed to include non-mechanical controls for all three. We laugh
at them when they use great big heavy phrases instead of a simple
familiar word or two.

Weeds _are_ a 'pest' in one recognized sense; and I don't really think
that classifying a herbicide as a 'pesticide' for the purposes of
regulation will cause the unwary to spray the greenfly with
glyphosate. But it does simplify the rules about toxic products, and
that's a good thing.

Mike.