Old 22-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Franz Heymann

Default clover in lawn

wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:14:40 +0100, hugh ] wrote:

In message , Franz Heymann
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 19/7/04 9:37, in article
, "Howard

Neil"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

On 18/7/04 8:44 pm, in article
, "Howard
Neil"
wrote:

BAC wrote:

Sorry about that - I use the term 'pesticides' to include
herbicides,
insecticides, fungicides, etc. I don't think I'm alone in

that,
but
apologise for any confusion. In this context, I meant
weedkiller,
specifically one not fatal to lawn grass.

You are correct in your use of the term "pesticide". It is a
general
term that includes herbicides, insecticides and fungicides.

Weed
killer
is a herbicide which then means that it is a pesticide.

You may use it in that way but nobody else I know does so.
Herbicide is not
pesticide. We do not use pesticides on this nursery but very
occasionally
we use herbicides. As we use biological controls in the
greenhouses, the
difference is very marked and it would be sloppy to encourage
people to use
'pesticides' when one might mean 'herbicides', IMO.

If you have a nursery, I am very surprised at your lack of
knowledge.
Have a look at the definition of herbicide given he-

http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/appendices.asp?id=744

And I am not at all surprised at your rudeness - unfortunately.
Pesticides
kill pests, herbicides kill vegetation. It doesn't take some
government
mandarin who wouldn't recognise a pair of wellingtons if they

bit
him, to
tell anyone that.
Tell a new gardener that a herbicide is a pesticide and he will

make
a very
poor choice when shopping for his requirements.

No. You are unfortunately quite wrong. It is not your

prerogative to
redefine technical terms which have a prior definition.
I have now found 9 separate references, originating in the UK and

in
the USA, including Encyclopedia
Brittanica and Wikipedia in which herbicides are defined as
pesticides, and none, except you, which claim the opposite.

Franz

OED

Franz has my copy :-(

Hard luck. {:-))
And, once again, thanks.

OD of current English has an "etc." in it's definition of pesticide.

Franz