Old 22-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Howard Neil

Default clover in lawn

Franz Heymann wrote:
"Alan Gould" wrote in message

In article ,
Howard Neil writes

I quote from the Pesticides Safety Directorate's glossary (url as

above):-

Herbicide
A pesticide used to control unwanted vegetation (weed killer).

That is Govt. agri-speak.

No. Since my last post on the issue, I have found 14 references to
the effect that a herbicide is a pesticide, and none to the contrary.

This is not just a UK government definition. Countries all over the
world consider that a herbicide is a pesticide. Here are just a few to
add to your list of 14.

Here is the American definition:-

A pesticide is any substance or mixture of substances intended for:

* preventing,
* destroying,
* repelling, or
* mitigating any pest.

Though often misunderstood to refer only to insecticides, the term
pesticide also applies to herbicides, fungicides, and various other
substances used to control pests.

Under United States law, a pesticide is also any substance or mixture of
substances intended for use as a plant regulator, defoliant, or desiccant.

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/about/

There is another definition in New South Wales

http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/envirom/pestwhtr.htm

And another from British Columbia

http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/epd/epdpa/ipmp/pestciddefn.htm

And from Malaysia