Old 22-07-2004, 12:26 AM
Chris Hogg

Default passiflora vitifolia

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 09:04:30 GMT, "Matthew Durkin"
wrote:

Hi All,
Last year I grew a passiflora vitifolia from seed. I only had one shoot out
of a packet unfortunately. The plant is now about a foot tall and is
starting to form side shoots.
I'm now wondering how much cold this plant will take and if it would survive
a UK winter. It has been outside now since spring so may already have had
some light frosts - some of the leaves were burnt. Generally passiflora are
said to not be hardy, but from what I've read, quite a few are perfectly
happy outdoors in the UK. The 'maypops' variety more popular in the US is
rarely sold as hardy, when in fact it's extremely hardy.

So - has anyone had any experience of growing the vitifolia outdoors in the
UK?

Thanks,
Matthew

I grow vitifolia in our conservatory. Spectacular brilliant red
flowers. I wouldn't attempt it outdoors, even in the far west of
Cornwall. I lost a P.molissima outside last winter.

--
Chris