Old 22-07-2004, 12:54 AM
Robert

Default Raspberry riddle...

"James Fidell" wrote in message
.. .
: No, not a new sort of ice-cream.
:
: Earlier this year, in an effort to regain some control over the
: very seriously overgrown veggie patch in our new house, we trimmed
: all of the raspberry canes down to about a foot high.
:
: Various people threw up their hands in horror, saying that if they were
: a summer fruiting variety, we wouldn't get any raspberries this year.
: Now it's summer however, we *do* have fruit. I recall too how at our
: previous house we were delivered a number of bare-root raspberry canes
: trimmed to a similar height late one winter and planted them out, getting
: fruit in the summer of that year.
:
: Why's that then? Is this summer fruit on old wood/autumn fruit on new
: wood thing all a bit of a generalisation?
:
: James

No it's generally precise as far as summer raspberries are concerned. If you
cut the raspberries off some of those stems would have been new and if it
then sent up new ones they would bear fruit as it was an early trim. I'm
sticking to that lol!